As we migrate our collections to a new repository, please use this page to find all of the current Clemson University collections online.
A. Wolfe Davidson created the Thomas Green Clemson statue in front of Tillman Hall (twice!). This exhibit provides a brief look at his Davidson’s life and the other works he created for Clemson University and other clients. Davidson was born in Russia in 1903, arrived in Greenville, South Carolina in the 1920s and enrolled as a special student at Clemson College in 1934. He went on to lead the art department at Brenau College in Georgia for nearly twenty years.
The Agrarian is an official student publication of the Clemson University College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. Starting in December 1938, this college-wide publication focused on all aspects of agriculture with a main audience of agricultural leaders – county agents, specialists, agricultural teachers and instructors and leading farmers. It was published semiannually until the Spring/Summer of 1965.
Minutes and reports of Clemson University’s Board of Trustees from 1888 to the present.
Since its beginnings in 1888, the Clemson University Board of Trustees is the main governing body for the university. As defined in Thomas Green Clemson’s will, the Board of Trustees consists of seven Trustees who select their successors and six Trustees who are appointed by the State Legislature. The Board’s main responsibility is to govern through establishment of policies that ensure academic quality and freedom, protect the University’s financial security, and ensure efficient and effective administration through the Board’s selected president and its executive officers.
The Bobbin and Beaker was an official student publication of the Clemson School of Industrial Management and Textile Science. Organized in November 1939 by Iota Chapter of Phi Psi Fraternity for the Clemson Textile School, the first issue of this semiannual publication arrived in March 1940 for the students, textile school graduates, and the textile industry. The publication was suspended in April 1943 for the duration of the war. It resumed publishing on January 1947 with a change to four issues annually during the school year. Due to a lack of student participation and a changing industry, it ceased publication with the Winter/Spring Issue 1966.
The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, the Clifton Manufacturing collection, the Henry Cater collection and the JP Stevens collection.
The Clemson College Class of 1939 is a unique class. After graduation, not only did almost all of its members serve in World War II (with 26 making the ultimate sacrifice), but they also made a series of commitments to the University at their 50th Golden Anniversary Reunion in 1989 that have both served to sustain the class into perpetuity and to enhance the Clemson experience as a whole. The class contributes to student scholarships, has endowed a Faculty Award for Excellence, and supports projects in the Heritage Gardens, part of the Clemson Botanical Garden. Membership to the class increases each year with the induction of the Faculty Award for Excellence winners as well as the induction of other members who support the class. A Leadership Committee has been established for the honorary members to work with the remaining class members to perpetuate the memory, ideals, and goals of the original members of the Great Class of ’39.
The Clemson University Football Program Cover Collection comes from the University Archives, and features 198 unique cover layouts of both home and away games. Typical of sports programs, these covers are the combined efforts of illustrators, graphic artists and printers that worked with the University Athletic Department to create these souvenirs, which contained biographical information on coaches and athletes, as well as statistical information about each team. While most programs in this collection are from home games, there are also some programs from away games and bowl games.
The Clemson annual yearbooks have been a tradition since 1899, when the first issue was published as the Clemson College Chronicle.
Since 1899, the yearbook has had several names:
Clemson College Chronicle (1899-1900)
The Clemsonian (1901)
Clemson College Chronicle (1902)
The Oconeean (1903-1904)
The Chronicle (1905)
Clemson College Annual (1906-1907)
In 1908, Taps became the name of the annual yearbook and has carried on the tradition of documenting the Clemson campus and student life.
The physical collection consists of more than 11,000 positive and negative images produced by the
Cooperative Extension Service and South Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station from the
1920s until the 1970s. A few images made before 1930 were not produced by the Service but
were acquired and maintained with the collection. Many of the images appeared in publications
issued by the Extension Service.
The bulk of images documents activities relating to agriculture; the remainder relates to
economic development, home demonstration, and Clemson College. Pictures of Extension
Service personnel are included in this series. This is an ongoing digital collection, with photographs being added over time.
The national Cooperative Extension Service engages citizens to improve economic development and quality of life by delivering research-based information in agriculture, natural resources, food safety and nutrition, economic and community development, and 4-H youth development. South Carolina Cooperative Extension is based at the state’s two land-grant institutions — Clemson University and South Carolina State University. Clemson Extension agents are located in all 46 counties and at the university’s five Research and Education Centers.
This collection contains selected materials that hold historical and cultural significance to the African American community and represent its longtime presence at Clemson University. Resources included in the collection are from the University Archives that span from 1828 to the present day.
These include photographs, manuscripts and records from multiple collections related to: Harvey Gantt, Clemson’s first African American student who desegregated the university on January 28, 1963.
This is an ongoing project and we have many more materials to include in the collection. We hope to include original materials (photographs, manuscripts, audio, video, oral histories, records) that document African American life, work, history, and culture at and around Clemson from residents of the Upstate region and those who in some way were part of the ongoing experience.
Browse the South Carolina Digital Library portal containing collections of Ravenel from across the state
Correspondences between Henry William Ravenel and fellow botanist, family, and others. 1844-1887.
With a public service career spanning over 70 years, the speeches of Senator Strom Thurmond document the evolution of his thoughts, opinions, and philosophies in all of the public offices he held – State Senator, Circuit Judge, Governor, and U.S. Senator. His words are reflective of the times and of his unflagging support of his constituents. These speeches available online are only a small portion of the Strom Thurmond Collection.
The Tiger is the student-run newspaper for Clemson University and its community. First produced on January 21, 1907, it is the oldest collegiate newspaper in the state of South Carolina. The weekly, national award-winning publication is distributed every Tuesday and Thursday on and off campus with a circulation of approximately 12,000.
Thomas Green Clemson demonstrated the versatility which gifted people often possess in his varied activities as a mining engineer, government official, plantation owner, scientist, proponent of higher education, artist and art collector, and supporter of scientific farming. Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Clemson adopted South Carolina as his home after marrying Anna Maria Calhoun, the oldest daughter of the South Carolina statesman John C. Calhoun. Little is known of Clemson’s early life other than that his father was a well-to-do merchant in Philadelphia. Clemson attended public schools in Philadelphia and the American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy in Norwich, Vermont.
The papers of Thomas G. Clemson were kept after his death by his attorney, Richard W. Simpson. Following Simpson’s death, his daughter, Maria Louise, took possession of the Clemson papers. In 1915 or 1916 Miss Simpson turned the papers over to her brother-in-law, Professor Alester G. Holmes, who recognized their historical importance and the need to have them properly cared for. In 1947, Maria Louise Simpson formally donated the papers to Clemson University. Information regarding the provenance of the Clemson Papers can be found in Box 7, Folder 5 of this collection and in the Alester G. Holmes Collection, Mss 1, Box 1, Folder 3, 1930- 1935. In 2000 photocopies of Clemson family correspondence to Elias Baker, Clemson’s uncle, were obtained from the Blair County (PA) Historical Society in exchange for copies of the Baker correspondence in the collection. The collection also includes accessions 93-25, 03-97, 06-40 and 06-45.
Clemson Papers are closely related to the John C. Calhoun Papers (Mss 200), the Richard K. Cralle Papers (Mss 109), the Holmes Collection and the Richard W. Simpson Papers (Mss 96). There are no restrictions on the use of this collection beyond those of Special Collections.